The General Assembly of the EPFL chapter of SIAM will be held on the 10 September at 1 PM in the PhD common room at the third floor of the MA building. In this occasion, we will discuss the roles within the new committee, as well as the activities for the new academic year!
Everyone is welcome to join!
The committee of the EPFL chapter of SIAM
The first edition of the Computational Science & Biology day took place on May 23 and we are glad it was a success, with around 60 Bachelor, Master and PhD students joining for the talks.
We want to thank the main guests Maria Rodriguez Martinez and Samuel Lapere for their presentations, as well as Chiara Gastaldi, Niccolò Dal Santo and Michalina Pacholska for their interesting contributions.
We thank SIAM and the Mathematics Section for their support and we hope to see you all at our next event!
The EPFL Chapter of SIAM Committee
Luca Pegolotti – President of the EPFL chapter of SIAM
Maria Rodriguez Martinez
The EPFL Chapter of SIAM invites you to the first edition of the Computational Science & Biology day.
When: Thursday 23 May at 16:15
Where: Room CM 1 1 – EPFL
During this event, we will have two speakers coming from industry who will present their research connected to computational science and biology. The presentations will be followed by an apéro offered by the association.
In particular, we are glad to present you Maria Rodriguez Martinez from IBM and Samuel Lapere from the Blue Brain Project.
Moreover, four PhD students from EPFL will give short presentations about their research to complement the two main speakers.
For organizational purposes, we kindly ask you to register for this event following this link. Registration is not mandatory for attending the event.
We hope to see many of you!
The 2nd Edition of the Entrepreneurship in Mathematics and Computational Science Workshop has been a great success, with ≈100 Master and PhD students attending and great talks by our guests. Thanks to Neural Concepts, Rollomatic and L2F for their very interesting presentations!
As usual, we thank SIAM for its support and we hope to see you all at our next event!
The EPFL Chapter of SIAM Committee
Luca Pegolotti – Chapter President
The EPFL Chapter of SIAM invites you to the 2nd edition of the Entrepreneurship in Mathematics and Computational Science workshop.
When: Tuesday 4th December at 17:15
Where: Room CM 1 105 – EPFL
During this event, three representatives of emerging Swiss companies will present the focus of their companies and will shed light on the role that mathematics plays in their business. The presentations will be followed by an apéro offered by the association.
This year, we are glad to present you
- Neural Concept: Neural Concept is a 3D Deep-Learning Software platform dedicated to Computer Assisted Engineering and Design. The company’s main clients are global leaders in a wide range of application domains including aerospace and naval engineering, automotive manufacturing and the energy industry.
- Rollomatic: Many industrial problem can be understood and simplified with the right mathematical abstraction. I will present you how we use differential geometry and Lie Groups at Rollomatic to improve the way we produce cutting tools for the industry. I will also talk about the work and the different roles of mathematicians in a research and development team.
- Learn to Forecast (L2F): L2F is a task-force of remarkably talented mathematicians with a profound understanding of Machine Learning and Algebraic Topology. We conceive, develop and maintain custom predictive models. We believe each predictive model has a unique story, and to yield the best results it must fit your problem like a tailor-made suit.
We hope to see many of you!
Congratulations to Martin Barry for winning the Best Talk prize, and thanks to all the speakers for participating! Stay tuned for the 2018 edition.
Martin Barry on “Neural Implementation of Learning by Surprise”
Adam Halmi on “Stochastic Differential Equations and their Applications in Interest Rate Modelling”
Andrea Scaglioni on “Assessing Surgical Devices with Computational Hemodynamics”
Aleksa Stankovic on “Bayesian Inverse Problems in Infinite Dimensional Setting”
Chapter Secretary Tomas Rubin presents the Best Talk prize to Martin Barry for his talk on Neural Implementation of Learning by Surprise.
Join us December 5th in room MA A3 30 at 17h15! Five students signed up to each give a 10 minute presentation on the research projects they’ve been working on:
- Gauthier Muguerza Bengoechea, Stochastic Gradient Methods applied to Riemann Optimisation
- Adam Halmi, Stochastic Differential Equations and their Applications in Interest Rate Modelling
- Aleksa Stankovic, Bayesian Inverse Problems in Infinite Dimensional Setting
- Andrea Scaglioni, Assessing Surgical Devices with Computational Hemodynamics
- Martin Barry, Neural Implementation of Learning by Surprice
There will be a best talk prize + food, snacks and beverages kindly sponsored by SIAM.
The EPFL Chapter of SIAM General Assembly for the academic year 2017/2018 will be held Friday September 29th starting 17:00 in room MA C2 543.
All students of EPFL are cordially invited to join the assembly, have some cookies, propose activities or even better, volunteer for the Chapter!
Wednesday July 5th, SIAM Summer Apéro. Cold beverages, snacks, and food for the early birds.
See you in September!
Tuesday May 9th, more than 60 EPFL students from various departments came to hear about the work of three invited EPFL/ETHZ spin-offs .
Inpher CEO Dr. Jordan Brandt and Chief Scientist Dr. Nicolas Gama began the round of presentations talking about Inpher, and their efforts to create technology for computation on encrypted data. Akselos core technology developer Dr. Jonas Ballani talked about their work towards creating a digital twin of large structures, and finally Dr. Martin Jaggi, co-founder of SpinningBytes, gave a presentation on how his company creates custom-made machine learning and data analytics software.
Connections were made and wine enjoyed at our Apero! Thanks to SIAM for funding and support, we hope to see you all again next year!
Allan Svejstrup Nielsen, EPFL Chapter of SIAM President
Inpher CEO Dr. Jordan Brandt
Dr. Nicolas Gama, Chief Scientist at Inpher
Dr. Jonas Ballani, Senior technology developer at Akselos
Dr. Martin Jaggi, co-founder of SpinningBytes